As a parent, you’re always looking out for your kids. And you may be wondering when a problem with their teeth counts as a dental emergency. What qualifies, and when should you schedule a consultation at Sea of Smiles Pediatric Dentistry?
The short answer is that any condition that causes lots of pain, discomfort, or oral bleeding is an emergency. If your child is in pain, they need help, and our dentists are here for your family. Contact us right away if you need to schedule an emergency dental appointment.
The 5 Most Common Dental Emergencies In Kids
As we mentioned, anything that’s causing pain, bleeding, or discomfort counts as an emergency. But you may be wondering what the most common emergencies are in kids. Here are just a few of the reasons you may need to bring your child in for an emergency dental visit:
- Serious toothache – If your child’s tooth hurts for more than a day or two, it may be infected. This is a serious condition, and could kill their tooth and cause other serious health problems. Bring them in for a consultation at Sea of Smiles right away so that our dentists can diagnose the issue and get them the care they need, such as a root canal.
- Gum swelling or inflammation – In kids, swollen and tender gums are usually caused by extensive tooth decay (cavities), but can also sometimes be caused by gum disease. Trauma and certain other issues can cause gum inflammation, so it’s best to see a dentist to get the help your little one needs.
- Oral bleeding – If your child’s mouth is bleeding and it doesn’t slow down or stop within 15-30 minutes, you should bring them to a dentist. Their teeth and gums could be damaged, or they could have serious cuts and lacerations to their cheeks, tongue, and other oral tissue.
- Knocked-out (avulsed) tooth – A knocked-out adult tooth is a really big deal. You need to see the dentist within 1-2 hours to replace the tooth and save it. But even if your child loses a baby tooth early, you should come in for emergency care. Your child’s pediatric dentist can make sure their mouth stays healthy, and place a space maintainer in the gap in their smile. This helps the replacement adult tooth grow into their mouth properly.
- Broken tooth – A broken or fractured tooth is a serious dental emergency. If you don’t get help right away, your child’s tooth could become infected, causing further complications. You should see a dentist right away to fix the tooth with a dental crown and protect your child’s oral health.
Why Is It Important To Get Emergency Care Right Away?
First, immediate care gets your child out of pain and lets them get back to their day-to-day routine. Getting help right away also helps reduce the risk of further complications. In turn, that saves you time and money, since their treatment will be simpler, faster, and cheaper. For all of these reasons, you should contact Sea of Smiles Pediatric Dentistry whenever you think your child is having a dental emergency.
Get The Emergency Dental Care You Need For Your Little One
At Sea of Smiles Pediatric Dentistry, little smiles are our specialty. You can always contact us for same-day emergency care in Yardley, Bensalem, Warrington, or Glenside. Just give us a call and tell you about the situation. Our dental team will let you know what you need to do next, and schedule an appointment for your child as soon as possible.